Wednesday, 10 April 2013

I is for Internet

We love it, we use it daily, we need it, we can't imagine our day without it, but do we know how it began?

Well, it all started in 1957 when the Soviet Union launched Sputnik, the first man-made satellite. The United States thought that if the Soviet Union could launch a satellite, then they could easily launch a missile at North America(keep in mind that this was during the Cold War). In 1958 the US created the organization ARPA and began the development of ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network). The objective was to connect several computers, across the county, with one another so that if one was destroyed, the others would continue to function.

The ARPANET proved to be successful and soon a lot of universities, large companies and government departments began joining it. Connecting computers made it easier to share information. Other countries began joining the network as well, speeding up it's growth, and so it became international. That's where the name Internet comes from; International Network.

And that is in short how the Internet began. If you would like to read a more detailed history, go here.

2 comments:

  1. I still find it funny when somebody tells me something and I say, "Where did you hear that?" and they say, the Internet.

    Can't live without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, and I can also leave it. It doesn't control my life like it may for some, but it sure does come in handy!! After all I meant you!! Good post! www.sandysanderellasmusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete