Thursday, 4 April 2013

D is for Don't Break the Chain

Don't break the chain is a great productivity tip from Jerry Seinfeld. I learnt about it from Charlie McDonnell's video and decided that I had to try it out. I always leave things until the last minute unless I have some really great motivation not to, and this seemed like it could keep my motivation up. But being the procrastinator that I am, I didn't start until last month(so that's about 2 months of putting it off).

Here's the deal: if you have something that you need to do on a regular basis, you give yourself a minimum amount of time required, you get a calendar(preferably one that has an entire year on one page) and a marker. For each day that you complete your work you get to put a nice big X on that day. After a few days you'll get a chain. Your next goal is not to break the chain.

I have a project for school which I thought would be perfect to test this thing. All I can say is, so far so good. I started about a month ago, I gave myself 15 minuets of work on this project a day and I've managed to keep it up. So far I've done most of my research and have now started translating things that could be of use to me when writing the project.

I always try to get at least 15 minutes of work done because I don't want to fail, I don't want to break the chain. And it's kept me going. So now I plan on doing another don't break the chain this summer, for running, (or jogging, or whatever you want to call it).

8 comments:

  1. I like that approach! and I love your "cat stuff". Remember Don't Break the Chain. Good old Jerry Seinfield!! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avoiding distractions is also a great thing to make sure you 'don't break the chain'. Good luck with school projects, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nadica!

    It's nice to arrive at your blog! Don't break the chain; sounds like a great plan! Consistency has a lot of benefits! Being consistent tends to discipline us!

    Being productive is living life! Don't know what, Betty would do without being productive!

    Thanks so much for sharing apart of your life!! My hope is that you will always keep the chain going and that you will be as productive and creative as you are cabable of being!

    Hope you are enjoying the challenge! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betty.

      Oh I am! ^_^

      Delete
  4. Hmm, don't break the chain. I think I'll have the chance to try that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great tip! I have several things I could us this on. Thanks for sharing. Stopped by from the A-Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, I'm glad you find my post useful.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete