Tuesday, 2 April 2013

B is for Books

I love the smell of books, I love the feeling of books, I love reading books. In short, I love books.

I don't know when my love for books started, but it did and I'm glad it did. The only problem is:

"So many books, so little time" - Frank Zappa

That's so true, especially during the school year when I'm swamped with schoolwork, homework, lessons, projects and after school activities. I know that if I start reading a good book I'll leave everything else and I won't get anything done. That's why I love summer, I can read as much as I want without worrying about anything.

There's one thing I look forward to every April and that's the annual book fair. This year it's from the 9th to the 15th and I can't wait! People think I'm crazy for spending money on books. And I do buy a lot of books. Even if I have a lot of unread books at home I still buy more. What can I say, I have a book buying addiction. :D



If you're a reader then you've probably faced the problem of forgetting which books you've read, losing track of books you own and have lent to someone or books you want to read. Well there is a solution to your problems. It's called Goodreads. You've heard of it? Great! You haven't? Well you're in luck.



Goodreads is the world's biggest site for readers and book recommendations. On Goodreads you can keep track of books you've read, are reading or want to read by putting them on shelves. Aside from these three main shelves you can add your own.(shelves for books you own, didn't finish, read in another language, with a beautiful cover etc. basically anything you want) You can see what friends are reading, rate books, get recommendations and write reviews. You're an author? They have an authors program you should check out.

I better finish before this post gets too long. Hope everyone is having fun with this challenge. ^_^

I should really try and make my posts shorter...

8 comments:

  1. Ah, yes! the smell of books when new is great! I used to smell my school books when they were given to me. And I also wish I could read them faster. So many good books out there but I just don't have enough time!

    Father Dragon Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the smell of new books is the best.

      Sad but true. :(

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the smell of books. :) Brings back many, many memories. And it's partly why - though I may get an eReader at some point - most of my books will remain in tangible form.

    I'm also one of those frenetic book buyers. There are eight large bookshelves in my apartment and at least half of them are filled with books I haven't yet read. I'll get around to it one day, I suppose.

    Chaotically Yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have an eReader too, and even though I want to get one in the future, I'll still prefer paper. I just love the feeling of paper in my hands and the smell of books. You don't get that from an electronic device. Also reading on a screen for too long hurts my eyes.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. I have the same problem. Stacks to review on my desk, others to read tucked on a bookshelf (that I promise to get to), and more on my Nook (just can't resist those good deals). But that smell--and I mean old library book smells, one never forgets (I was a library nerd in school :). Curious... Your English is very good. Have you always been from Macedonia or is English common there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. Yes, I've always been from Macedonia, born and raised. :) I don't think English is very common here. I sort of picked up on English as a kid while watching too many English cartoons, with no subtitles. =D I then started studying English at age nine. I spend most of my free time reading or watching things in English with no subtitles or English subtitles so my English just kept improving I guess.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the information, Nadica! Very informative! You have a beautiful name!

    Really enjoyed reading your post! Do you have an interest in becoming a writer! Sounds like the potential is there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

      Haha, no I've never thought of becoming a writer. =D I've been told that I'm good at writing and have potential, but being a writer has never been something I wanted to do.

      Delete